Created in 1916, BMW remains to be one of the most respected and well-loved car brands in the world. While people may associate the brand with high-performance and luxury status, the brand manages to cater to various types of individuals. Besides making cars, many people don't know much about BMW. Today, we will do a deep-dive into some fun and interesting facts that most people do not know about the famous company.
- BMW Stands for Bayerische Motoren Werke GmbH, which roughly translates to be “Bavarian Engine Works Company”. You'd be surprised to know that the majority of BMW owners don't even know what it stands for!
- BMW Used to Produce Plane Engines. The company came about during World War I to tackle Germany's shortage of fighter planes. However, BMW discontinued aircraft production after the war ended. Furthermore, the Treaty of Versaille forbade any German business from manufacturing warplanes.
- The Logo Colors Symbolize Bavaria. The famous blue and white slices represent the free state of Bavaria.
- The Signature Grill Design is Called the Kidney Grille. One of the most distinctive features of a bimmer is its unique grill design. Some BMW owners even go as far as decorating or customizing it for fun.
- BMW Entered the Electric Car Market in the Early 70s. Many people consider electric cars a modern concept, but the truth is many manufacturers were ahead of the game decades ago. In fact, BMW manufactured its first electric vehicle in 1972. This model was called the BMW 1602e. Since it was way ahead of its time, it failed to gain traction in the market. However, it definitely set the tone for the future of electric cars and what we know today.
- BMW Owns Rolls Royce and Mini. BMW has managed to acquire multiple brands throughout the many years of success, including British manufacturers Rolls Royce and Mini. BMW currently oversees the production of these cars.
We hope you learn a few new things about BMW today. At Eurotech, we specialize in caring for BMWs, Mercedes Benzs, Audis, and Lambhorginis. Our ASE-certified technicians have many experiences working on these luxurious cars, and our team would be happy to work on yours. We invite you to give us a call or visit today!